The sad truth is Diabetics are more likely to develop blinding eye diseases, yet studies reveal a lack of awareness of this issue among people most at risk. Many Americans may not be defending themselves against diabetes-related vision loss, but the American Academy of Ophthalmology encourages those with diabetes to take proactive steps to protect their vision.
November is National Diabetes Eye Disease Month
Diabetic eye disease, a leading cause of blindness, often has no early warning signs. Early detection, timely treatment, and appropriate follow-up care are the only ways to prevent vision loss. During National Diabetes Month, the National Eye Health Education Program (NEHEP) is encouraging you to spread the word about how people with diabetes can protect their vision. As a health professional or community leader, you are in a good position to encourage people to take steps to protect their vision. Help spread the word about diabetic eye disease with our latest educational resources.
Get the Word Out
There are many things you can do to help spread the word about Diabetic Eye Diseases Below is a list!
- Spread the word on social media, use Facebook and Twitter posts below to tell your family, friends and followers about National Diabetes Month.
- Give a presentation – sharing important information about how people with diabetes can prevent vision loss through early detection, treatment, and follow-up care.
Use These Tools on Social Media
- By 2030, an estimated 11 million people will have diabetic retinopathy. If you have diabetes, make sure you keep your health on track! Learn more: https://nei.nih.gov/nehep/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/diabetic-eye-disease-resources/national-diabetes-month
- Newer and better treatments for diabetic retinopathy are now available. This National Diabetes Month, talk with your eye care provider about what would be best for you. If you don’t have an eye care provider, get tips for finding one in your area by visiting https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/healthy-vision/finding-eye-doctor
- If you have diabetes, keep your vision health on TRACK. Watch this animation to learn how: https://youtu.be/V7YNJPqniRQ
- Don’t let finances keep you from getting proper eye care, especially during National Diabetes Month. Help may be available. Learn more about financial assistance for eye care at https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/healthy-vision/get-help-paying-eye-care
- If you have #diabetes, make healthy vision your priority during National Diabetes Month! Learn more from @NatEyeInstitute: https://nei.nih.gov/nehep/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/diabetic-eye-disease-resources/national-diabetes-month
- #DidYouKnow #DiabeticEyeDisease treatment is 95% effective in preventing #blindness when detected early? https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/diabetic-retinopathy #NDM
- If you have #diabetes, keep your health on TRACK during #NationalDiabetesMonth! More from @NatEyeInstitute: https://nei.nih.gov/nehep/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/diabetic-eye-disease-resources/national-diabetes-month
- November is National #Diabetes Month. @NatEyeInstitute has resources to help protect the sight of people with diabetes: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/diabetic-eye-disease-resources
- November is National #Diabetes Month. Don’t lose sight of diabetic eye disease. Learn more from @NatEyeInstitute: https://nei.nih.gov/nehep/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/diabetic-eye-disease-resources/national-diabetes-month
For more helpful eye care and vision care tips, please visit our main blog page