Traditionally, the New Year is the time to start healthy and healthful resolutions. Its a time we start diets and become more health and weight conscious. But do we stop to think specifically about our eyes and the impact our health has on them? The following are some healthy New Year’s resolutions for good vision!
- Eat a healthy and vitamin packed diet including fruits and vegetables from all the colors of the rainbow, whole grains and seafood
- Protect your eyes from UV light damage and be sure to wear UV blocking lenses when outdoors even in gray weather.
- Remember to blink when working at your computer screen or scrolling on your phone. Keeping your eyes moisturized whether by blinking, or if needed, using artificial tears will help to prevent eye strain.
- Remember the 20/20/20 Rule. Every 20 seconds, look at something 20 feet away from you, for at least 20 seconds.
- Give your eyes a break! Remove your contact lenses to relieve your eyes, let them breath and give them a break.
- Quit Smoking! Smoking puts your health at risk for and makes you more prone to eye diseases such as age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Be sure to monitor your blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose levels! High blood pressure and high glucose can create conditions for diabetic retinopathy and other eye diseases.
- Schedule annual eye exams to help prevent eye issues or detect early signs of disease or mitigate them.
Besides practicing preventative care for your eyes it is also important to monitor changes in your vision, especially as we age. Take care of your eyes and they will take care of you! Happy New Year!
For more helpful eye care and vision care tips, please visit our main blog page.