Try these 8 simple steps to reduce your risk of digital eye strain:
- Position yourself an arm’s length away from screens for optimal viewing distance
- Adjust your lighting by minimizing surrounding bright light; close blinds to reduce outside light, and turn down overhead lights or use low wattage light bulbs to reduce indoor light
- Set the brightness, text size and color on your display settings to your comfort level
- Try the 20-20-20 method: Every 20 minutes, take a 20 second break from staring at the screen and focus on something 20 feet away
- Take frequent breaks to give your eyes — and your brain — a chance to rest
- Blink often to keep your eyes moist and to prevent dryness and irritation
- Schedule a comprehensive eye exam and let your vision care provider know how much time you spend in front of digital screens
- Consider switching to eyewear with digital eyestrain reducing capabilities, especially if you wear contact lenses, progressive lenses or bifocals
Have you scheduled your annual eye exam? It’s the ideal time to discuss any vision changes with your vision care provider! We can examine your eyes, answer questions and offer additional tips and solutions to relieve digital eye strain.
For more helpful eye care and vision care tips, please visit our main blog page.