What Is Amblyopia or Lazy Eye?
Amblyopia or Lazy Eye is the one eye condition that is not correctable with glasses or contact lenses. It causes more vision loss in the under 40 age group than any other eye condition or disease combined. Noted by reduced vision, the brain, for some reason does not recognize the Amblyopic eye. It almost always affects just one eye, but it may manifest with a reduction in vision in both eyes.
At Advanced Eyecare Optometry we can provide you with the best chance for early detection and correction!
- Amblyopia is an eye condition in which there is blurry or reduced vision that is not correctable by glasses, contact lenses or eye surgery
- Lazy eye can cause loss of vision, including loss of depth perception and two-eyed 3D vision.
- Amblyopia or Lazy eye treatment can yield improvements at any age, but early detection and treatment still offer easier treatment and the best chances for a cure.
- Scientific research has proven that lazy eye treatment can be successful in older children, teenagers, and adults. Neuroscience has established that the human brain can change at any age (neuroplasticity).
- Comprehensive vision examinations are needed for infants, toddlers, and pre-school children. A pediatrician’s eye exam or a 20/20 eye chart screening is not adequate for the detection of amblyopia and other visual conditions which are related to or mistakenly called lazy eye.
How to Treat Lazy Eye
To quote Dr. Leonard J. Press, FAAO, FCOVD:
“Treatment of amblyopia after the age of 17 is not dependent upon age, but requires more effort including vision therapy.”
Neuroscience has proven that the human brain can change at any age (neuroplasticity), so lazy eye is treatable at any age, too. Treatment involves glasses, atropine drops, eye patching, and/or vision therapy, which includes eye exercises, visual-motor processing activities and neurological therapies.
Medical research has proven that lazy eye is successfully treated up to the age of 17 with therapies.
Advanced Eyecare Optometry
At Advanced Eyecare Optometry, we are a professional optometric group providing quality, comprehensive eyecare. This includes the treatment of vision problems and eye disease, the fitting of fashion eyewear and all contact lenses; the pre- and post- operative management of laser eye surgery (LASIK). We look forward to serving you and your family’s optometric needs. We are conveniently located near Sun Valley Mall, and would be delighted to have you as a patient.
At Advanced Eyecare Optometry
Our doctors are thoroughly trained in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of vision disorders and eye disease. They utilize state-of-the art equipment, which provides a higher level of care. This facilitates the early detection and management of eye diseases which helps preserve your vision! Examinations also include the detection and treatment of eye muscle imbalance, poor eye coordination and reduced focusing ability, which are common problems among children and 40+ year olds.
When indicated, the doctors fit any contact lenses required. If you are interested in laser eye surgery, (LASIK), the doctors will determine if you are a good candidate, and will provide the pre- and post-op management to insure a good outcome for this procedure.
Should you choose to wear eyeglasses, Advanced Eyecare Optometry offers a modern eyewear boutique with hundreds of styles to from which to choose. The licensed opticians are trained to help you select fashionable eyewear that compliments your lifestyle and fashion sense, all in a relaxed, friendly, caring atmosphere.
If you are looking for someone to help you with all your eyecare needs, then call Advanced Eyecare Optometry today. We’ll put your needs in focus!