Eye Care Tips
Eye care tips you can do to help keep your eyes healthy:
- Healthy, balanced diet. Diets should include plenty or fruits and vegetables, especially deep yellow and green leafy vegetables. Eating fish high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, tuna, and halibut can also help your eyes.
- Maintain, healthy weight. Being overweight increases your risk of developing diabetes. Diabetes puts you at higher risk of getting diabetic retinopathy or glaucoma.
- Regular exercise. Exercise to prevent or control diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. These diseases can lead to eye or vision problems. Exercising regularly, can lower your risk of getting these eye and vision problems.
- Sunglasses. Sun exposure damages your eyes and raises your risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Protect eyes by using sunglasses that block out 99 to 100 percent of both UV-A and UV-B radiation.
- Protective eye wear. Prevent eye injuries, by wearing eye protection when playing certain sports, working in jobs such as factory work and construction, and doing repairs or projects in your home.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking increases the risk of developing age-related eye diseases such as macular degeneration and cataracts and can damage the optic nerve.
- Family medical history. Some eye diseases are inherited, so it is important to find out whether anyone in your family has had them. This can help you determine if you are at higher risk of developing an eye disease.
- Risk factors. As you get older, you are at higher risk of developing age-related eye diseases and conditions. It is important to know risk factors because you may be able to lower your risk by changing some behaviors.
- Contact lenses, prevent eye infections. Wash your hands well before you put in or take out your contact lenses. Also follow the instructions on how to properly clean them, and replace them when needed.
- Rest your eyes. If you spend a lot of time using a computer, you can forget to blink your eyes and your eyes can get tired. To reduce eyestrain, try the 20-20-20 rule: Every 20 minutes, look away about 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds.
Using these eye care tips and being sure to have your annual eye exam will help to keep your eyes healthy!
For more helpful eye care and vision care tips, please visit our main blog page.